2019 Sailing to the Baltic

Saturday 24 August – Augustenborg to Romsey

The taxi arrived spot on time at 06:45 to take us to Sonderborg airport on a misty morning. We were soon checked in and as the sun burnt off the mist we left on time and were soon at Copenhagen airport. A bit of a wait for the flight to Stanstead gave us time to have breakfast and mooch around. The flight to Stanstead arrived early and all went smoothly at passport control and baggage collection and then we were on the train to Liverpool Street. On the underground to Waterloo and then the train to Southampton Central before the final leg on a Cardiff train to Romsey.

Anne on the Stanstead Express pleased to have found mini Toblerones at the shops at Stanstead

A bit of a long haul, taking about 12 hours, in all but not too stressful. Although the garden is a little overgrown everything else was fine and after a fish and chip supper we were soon asleep!!

That’s all for this year. We hope you have enjoyed our blog and we look forward to keeping in touch the same way next year. Watch this space!!

Friday 23 August – Augustenborg

Took the bus in to Sonderborg and found out where the chandlers is next to the marina. We bought a few odds and ends in preparation for fitting out next season and then recovered from the shock of the cost by going out for coffee and pancakes. We then found adjacent to the bus station a great shop selling paint rollers, trays, brushes, etc. so we stocked up with them as well and so we feel we are at least better prepared.

After that Richard serviced the outboard motor and we erected the tent over the cockpit so that we can leave the lines to dry properly. Richard went for a run. His last one in Denmark this year. After a quick supper onboard it was an early night ready to leave early in the morning to return to the UK.

Thursday 22 August – Augustenborg

Lift out day!! We were ready to go at 08:00 but before that a Dutch yacht, owned by a very friendly couple we had met previously, were having their boat lifted out on to a low loader to take back to Holland. Even so our mast was soon removed and, after a little adjustment, Harvard was lifted and out and secure in a cradle and moved to one side to have the hull jet washed. There wasn’t much fouling, just some light slime, but a lot of barnacles on the bow thruster propeller and around the rope cutter by the propeller. As we we are not leaving until Saturday we were moved to a space outside the winter storage shed as this would be more convenient for sleeping onboard.

Harvard’s mast being lifted

We then carried on tidying up and rinsing ropes off and Richard wiped down the topsides. The vinyl wrap still looks good with a a few scratches, some self inflicted, and others caused by some careless neighbours!! Blew up the dinghy and left it upside down on the coachroof.

We went in to Augustenborg for a pizza and a bottle of wine after a long but successful day.

Monday 19 August – Dyvig to Augustenborg

A better day but quite windy with up to 25 knots of breeze and we had a cracking sail to Augustenborg, regularly doing over 7 knots. It was a little more sheltered in the marina and as a hammerhead berth had been reserved for us it was easy to moor up, despite the breeze.

Richard went for a run following a route he had run before through the Augustenborg Palace woods.

Sunday 18 August – Dyvig

After a quiet morning we rowed over to the other Rustler 36 which was Blue Doublet, Princess Anne’s previous yacht. We had a nice chat and tea and biscuits and quizzed Lorna and Cary on their experiences of sailing in the Baltic. They leave Blue Doublet over the winter in Augustenborg as well so we will see them again later in the week.

Blue Doublet at anchor, Dyvig

Saturday 17 August – Dyvig

It rained again so after blowing up the dinghy in a dry spell we went ashore and caught the bus in to Nordborg to do some shopping. We had a little walk around the town but to be frank it was completely dead and rather uninteresting. The weather brightened up a little as we arrived back at Dyvig but it didn’t last long so we were soon back sheltering from the rain onboard.

Dyvig anchorage
water tower Nordborg

Friday 16 August – Gråsten to Dyvig

The forecast was better so we set off timing our departure for the 11:15 opening of the Egernsund bridge. We had been told at the sailing club that there are problems with the bridge and it certainly opened and then closed very slowly so something needs fixing. At least we escaped as if the bridge had broken down completely we would have been stuck in the Nybøl Nor.

the “poorly” bridge at Egernsund; it is still opening in this picture

We headed for Sonderborg with a good breeze and nice sailing conditions. After a little wait for the Sonderberg bridge we were soon through and sailed again with a good breeze on towards Dyvig that we had visited before by taking the bus to Nordborg from Augustenborg. We had already decided to anchor and after a bit of a beat for the last few miles we were happy to find it nice and sheltered and we were soon settled after quite a long day. We noticed that there was another British flag, Rustler 36 anchored nearby but we just waved thinking to make contact the next day.